Wednesday, June 10

Time Out With Erin: Sew What.

I have no idea how to sew. I remember practicing as a child with the shoelaces and cardboard tools [you know the kind, right?], but nonetheless, I still couldn't wrap my head [or nimble fingers] around the concept.

BUT. Something tells me I need to face the music, bite the bullet and learn to sew. After all, wouldn't it be fantastic to sew a love letter to my husband a la Twig & Thistle? Or memorize scientific theories on a hankie? And stitch all cast members of The Breakfast Club?

Come on! The possibilities are endless. Off to dust off that Singer my grandmother gifted me years ago...


*And, in case you're unfamiliar, Time Out is another installment of a Wednesday column brought to you by Erin Loechner, Editor of Design for Mankind...dedicated to tearing you away from behind the computer monitor and on to enjoying the simple things in life. Enjoy! As always, thanks so much Erin!

6 comments:

umama said...

I am in the same boat as you! But I just got onto the machine and started... my latest project was a clutch, which came out pretty good! And I transformed a pair of my flare jeans into skinnys! They probably can be a whole lot better.. but it's a start! I asked my boyfriend's mom for some basic tips to get me started so that helped. But don't get discouraged... I once took a class with my friend and we were such amateurs compared to everyone else. We felt so retarded but stuck it out!

Anonymous said...

i've just started sewing and stitching this year and love it!!! if i can do it, anyone can. you won't regret it!

andrea daquino said...

these are just great!

beauty comma said...

These are both cute and cool! I'm sure you would do great if you took up embroidery.

brandeye said...

that love letter is great. i just got a free motion foot and need much practice to get the hang of it. the love letter will be perfect! thanks

Rachael, Pistachio Press said...

These are incredible!